Did you know in a typical six room home up to 40 pounds of dust is created annually through your ducts effecting your everyday living. Your heating and cooling system is the lungs of your home. Air duct cleaning is aimed at increasing indoor air quality and promoting good health. Duct cleaning is a service provided by some companies who utilize vacuums, brushes and chemical cleaning compounds to scrub the inside of your air conditioning HVAC coils, including supply and return air ducts, heat exchangers, and evaporator coils.
Pros of air duct cleaning
- Possible increased respiratory health due to less contaminants in your AC system.
- Increased air conditioner efficiency due to increased air flow through your AC ducting.
- Cleaning your ducts may fight mold growth.
- Cleaning your ductwork may decrease offensive odors.
When should you have your ducts cleaned
According to NADCA, the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, strong consideration should be given to having your air ducts cleaned if you fall into one of the following categories:
- You have a high volume of pets that shed frequently.
- Prior to occupancy of a new home.
- After damage to your HVAC system due to fire or flooding.
- If you have someone who smokes indoors.
- There is evidence of rodents and animal infestation of your ductwork.
- If someone in your family suffers from asthma or allergies.